The official website of the City of Mansfield, Texas
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Go to the top of the page.
- Where can I find a list of permits?
- You can find a list of permit applications here.
- Do I need a permit to have a garage sale?
- Yes. A $5.00 permit must be obtained before holding a garage sale. Permits may be obtained through the Development Services Department. Garage sales may last for a period of 3 consecutive days and can only be held 3 times per 12-month period at any one address. Garage sale signs must not be posted on any sign, pole, tree or utility post or in any street medians.
- Is a permit required to build a storage shed in my backyard?
- Any accessory building over 120 square feet (10' X 12') requires a building permit. Before construction of any accessory building, carport, awning, patio cover or any other structure, check with the Planning Department for any setback, code or permit requirements.
- We are remodeling our kitchen. Do we need a permit, even if we are doing the work ourselves?
- Remodeling work that requires any structural change, electrical or plumbing work requires a permit. Permits can be obtained through the Development Services Department. Each sub-contractor must be registered with the City and they must obtain their own permits. All required inspections need to be completed and are included in the permit fee.
- What are the requirements for installing a sprinkler system in our yard?
- Installation of a lawn sprinkler system requires an Irrigation permit. For more specific regulations, contact Development Services.
- What are the fencing requirements for a swimming pool?
- All swimming pools shall at all times be completely surrounded by a fence, wall or barrier not less than four feet in height with a self-closing and self-latching gate. For more specific regulations, contact Development Services.
- My neighborhood association wants to have a block party with live music, a bounce house for the kids and we want to block off the street. Do we need to get a permit?
- Yes. You will need to get a "Special Event" permit to block off the street and this would include you having a bounce house. Please note that bounce houses cannot be located in any
streets. You do not need a specific permit for the live music, you will just need to abide by the City's noise ordinance. Look under "permit applications" for the Special Event Permit Packet.