Skip Navigation

The official website of the City of Mansfield, Texas

Development Services


Where can I find a list of permits?
You can find a list of permit applications here.
Do I need a permit to have a garage sale?
Yes. A $5.00 permit must be obtained before holding a garage sale. Permits may be obtained through the Development Services Department. Garage sales may last for a period of 3 consecutive days and can only be held 3 times per 12-month period at any one address. Garage sale signs must not be posted on any sign, pole, tree or utility post or in any street medians.
Is a permit required to build a storage shed in my backyard?
Any accessory building over 120 square feet (10' X 12') requires a building permit. Before construction of any accessory building, carport, awning, patio cover or any other structure, check with the Planning Department for any setback, code or permit requirements.
We are remodeling our kitchen. Do we need a permit, even if we are doing the work ourselves?
Remodeling work that requires any structural change, electrical or plumbing work requires a permit. Permits can be obtained through the Development Services Department. Each sub-contractor must be registered with the City and they must obtain their own permits. All required inspections need to be completed and are included in the permit fee.
What are the requirements for installing a sprinkler system in our yard?
Installation of a lawn sprinkler system requires an Irrigation permit. For more specific regulations, contact Development Services.
What are the fencing requirements for a swimming pool?
All swimming pools shall at all times be completely surrounded by a fence, wall or barrier not less than four feet in height with a self-closing and self-latching gate. For more specific regulations, contact Development Services.
My neighborhood association wants to have a block party with live music, a bounce house for the kids and we want to block off the street. Do we need to get a permit?
Yes. You will need to get a "Special Event" permit to block off the street and this would include you having a bounce house. Please note that bounce houses cannot be located in any streets. You do not need a specific permit for the live music, you will just need to abide by the City's noise ordinance. Look under "permit applications" for the Special Event Permit Packet.
Go to the top of the page.